Audio Workshop at SVG’s 2010 League Technology Summit
Audio Operations Workshop – 5.1 and Beyond
On Dec. 13, 2011, DTV Audio hosted the audio workshop, dubbed 5.1 and Beyond, at the Dolby Screening Room during SVG’s fifth annual League Technology Summit.
As HD video becomes the norm for live event sports coverage, broadcasters are moving toward standardizing on discrete 5.1 audio for all programming. This workshop explored the operational and engineering challenges of 5.1DTV audio production and served as a forum for mixers and audio professionals to share successful strategies and help lay out a game plan for efficiently creating true HDTV audio.
FEATURED SPEAKERS: Fred Aldous, FOX Sports, Senior Audio Mixer; Dennis Baxter, Olympic Broadcast Services, Sound Designer; Roger Charlesworth, DTV Audio Group, Executive Director; Kevin Cleary, ESPN, Senior Technical Audio Producer; Dan Daley, SVG, Audio Editor; Bob Dixon, NBC Olympics Unit, Director of Sound Design; Richard Friedel, FOX Networks, EVP, Operations and Engineering; Jean Paul Moerman, Salzbrenner Stagetec, International Projects and Applications Manager; Michael Nunan, CTV, Post Sound Supervisor; Tom Sahara, Turner Sports, Senior Director of Remote Operations and IT; Steve Silva, FOX Networks, Director of Training Procedures, Engineering; Jay Spears, Avid, Professional Console Sales Manager; Jim Starzynski, NBC Universal, Principal Engineer
– Overcoming Infrastructure Challenges to Discrete 5.1 Product
– Multi-channel Serial Microphone Acquisition and Signal Distribution
– Case Study: Embedded Audio
– Implications of Single-Threaded Delivery and Discrete 5.1 Production
– 5.1 and the HD Transition
– Multi-channel Microphones for Sports Production
– Making it Work; Practical Challenges to 5.1 Production
– Infinity and Beyond
– The Big Convergence
– Deploying Large-Scale Quick-Turn Editing for 5.1 Day-of-Air Production
– DTV Audio Group Online Training Initiatives