Sony Unveils New HXR-MC2500 HD Shoulder Camcorder
Sony‘s new HXR-MC2500 professional high definition shoulder-mount camcorder combines high sensitivity, low-light performance, and wireless connectivity for event videographers. This newest addition to Sony’s HD range of memory camcorders is a cost-effective successor to the HXR-MC2000U model and offers several enhancements and new features including an improved Exmor R CMOS sensor, built-in LED light, OLED viewfinder, WiFi functionality, DV memory recording, and a Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe.
“With its updated features and performance improvements, the HXR-MC2500 is an affordable and powerful solution for event videographers who need strong low-light performance, high picture quality, operational flexibility and reliability,” says Taka Kagawa, product marketing manager, at Sony Electronics.
HXR-MC2500 – Key Features:
- Exmor R CMOS sensor and built-in LED light: The HXR-MC2500 shoots clearly even in low-light or indoor environments. Its highly sensitive Exmor R CMOS sensor uses a back-illuminated technology that enables the image sensor to process incidental light more efficiently (minimum illuminance of 0.8 lux for NTSC), helping videographers achieve rich image quality even during low-light shooting. The HXR-MC2500 is also equipped with built-in LED light for extra illumination.
- OLED viewfinder and LCD panel: The new camera is equipped with a wide-angle view, high-contrast OLED Tru-Finder electronic viewfinder with a high resolution of approximately 1.44 million dots. Sony’s viewfinder technologies allow for better tonal reproduction and give the shooter more detailed picture information. The built-in 3-inch wide high resolution LCD panel (approximately 0.92 million dots) also delivers crisp and bright views.
- WiFi/NFC functions for connection to smartphones: The HXR-MC2500 connects to mobile devices such as smartphones or tablets via a WiFi connection, enabling monitoring and remote control functions such as start/stop recording, zoom control, iris control, and touch auto focus. Its Near Field Communications (NFC) capabilities allow easy, one-touch wireless connections to compatible mobile devices.
- Embedded 32GB internal flash memory and low power consumption for longer shooting times: A 32GB internal flash memory storage system enables long recording times of more than 150 minutes, ideal for event shooting. Using a combination of the internal flash memory and a memory card in the MS/SD slot enables recording functions such as “Relay” and “Simultaneous” for backup. When Sony’s L-Series InfoLithium battery NP-F970 (optional) is used, the HXR-MC2500 is capable of continuous long recording of up to 14 hours.
More Professional Features for Event Shooting
- 26.8mm Wide-Angle Lens – Offers one of the widest angles in this class of camera for wide-angle shooting even in small places
- DV Memory – In addition to AVCHD Full HD format support, SD format support includes DV memory
- Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe – Expands the options for using accessories without cables, such as the Sony UWP-D11 wireless microphone receiver and XLR audio input by XLR adapter
- BNC Composite Terminal – Enables the use of BNC cables to prevent cable disconnect during critical live shooting applications
- TC/UB Implementation – Time Code and User Bit are included for situations like multi-camera shoots
The HXR-MC2500 HD shoulder camcorder is planned to be available in November 2014, with suggested list pricing to be announced.